List:       subversion-users
Subject:    Setting up Subversion of a set of interrelated projects
From:       "Jan Hardenbergh" <hardenbergh () terarecon ! com>
Date:       2008-03-31 23:54:14

We recently switched over to Subversion from CVS and we are about to do the first SW \
release and tagging the whole directory seems like overkill.

I just want to see if anyone has set up subversion fo a similar environment.

We have 4 major directories - sw, hw, common, docs. From this we build device \
drivers, runtime libraries, an SDK, a bunch of tools, a couple of simulators and some \
logic files. We also have 3 generations of products, so, the whole kit and kaboodle \
is large.

In the good old CVS days, we could checkout individual files. Now we check out \
directories, but that is not too bad. So, to build the runtime library, we checkout \
specific directories.

    Checkout(CHECKOUTTAG, BUILDREV, 'sw/build', False)
    Checkout(CHECKOUTTAG, BUILDREV, 'common', False)
    Checkout(CHECKOUTTAG, BUILDREV, 'common/PNGFile', False)

Using pysvn, we have a tool that walks a tree and finds these roots and does updates.

The problem is that I cannot figure out how to tag it. If I tag one of the roots, it \
does not preserve any hierarchy. So, I just tag the whole repository.

svn copy http://fred.com/svn/Fred/trunk/ \
http://fred.com/svn/Fred/tags/fred_4_1_0_beta

YON - Jan C. Hardenbergh, jch@terarecon.com, 978-369-6500x272
Director of VolumePro Software Engineering