List:       subversion-users
From:       "Gavin Lambert" <gavinl () compacsort ! com>
Date:       2006-07-31 22:40:35

Quoth Miron Bar-am <mailto:miron.baram@astc-design.com>:
> I have a local copy of a design. One of the directories is a report
> directory. All tools I use generate reports to this
> directory. During its run, one of the tools, Spyglass, is
> creating a sub directory named 'reports_spyglass', which I've also
> added to the repository.
>
> During subsequent runs, the Spyglass deletes the 'reports_spyglass'
> directory and creates a new directory with the same name,
> where all reports are dumped to.
>
> Since the directory was deleted (.svn was removed),
> Subversion doesn't see this directory as a local copy anymore
> and refuses to commit it. The only workaround I found, is to
> 'svn rm' the directory before running Spyglass, and then
> 'svn add' the directory after the tool has been run.
>
> Is there a more efficient way that Subversion can handle this kind of
> situation? For example, define that the .svn directory for
> the 'reports_spyglass' directory, will be saved in the parent
> directory.

If you can reliably execute commands both before and after running
Spyglass, then you can backup the .svn subfolder inside
'reports_spyglass' (and any subfolders as well) prior to running
Spyglass, and then restore it afterwards.  As long as the .svn folder is
intact then it will get preserved as a proper working folder and will be
able to calculate diffs of the contents (assuming they're text files).