List:       subversion-dev
Subject:    Re: [VOTE] Reverting r1845377 (Was: [PROPOSAL] Allow plaintext passwords again.)
From:       Daniel Sahlberg <daniel.l.sahlberg () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-04-22 16:41:19

Den l=C3=B6r 22 apr. 2023 kl 10:30 skrev Branko =C4=8Cibej <brane@apache.or=
g>:

> On 22.04.2023 10:27, Branko =C4=8Cibej wrote:
>
> On 21.04.2023 16:43, Johan Corveleyn wrote:
>

> My plan is to revert r1845377 during next weekend. For the first bulletpo=
int nothing has to be done, but if consensus changes during the week, I can=
 do the work to to implement option 1. For the second bullet point I'd like=
 to reach consensus (on the short- and long term plan) by the same time, th=
en if we decide on 2/3 we will put it on the wish list for a future release=
.

> Great!
>
> There was one additional suggestion: obfuscate plaintext passwords, or
> encrypt them with a key embedded in the code (or even with a key
> supplied at compile-time).
>

> There's actually a branch for that, but the feature never made it to trun=
k.

> I'll just add that the intent of that branch is to properly encrypt
> passwords at least on Linux, not to obfuscate them or embed a key in the
> code. The latter is worse than storing in plain text, because the effect =
is
> the same but it adds a veneer of false sense of security.

I assume you are referring to the master-password branch? That will not
help with the use case some users are having - ie unattended svn actions -
since the user will have to enter the master password instead of the
password. (The use case "not remembering a lot of different passwords while
not storing passwords in clear" is of course solved by a master password).

--- thread reply ---
As you have probably seen, I've committed the revert as r1909351.

I have not made up my mind regarding the other points, but as pointed out
by several others, let's start with reverting and then take it from there.
I will read through all e-mails once more and see if i can sumarize the
discussion somewhat. So far I couldn't see any clear direction.

Kind regards,
Daniel