List:       subversion-dev
Subject:    Re: Question about building APR-UTIL
From:       Robert Dailey <rcdailey () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-28 20:27:58

2009/6/28 Joseph Galbraith <galb@vandyke.com>

> Robert Dailey wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Branko ÄŒibej <brane@xbc.nu <mailto:
>> brane@xbc.nu>> wrote:
>>
>>    Robert Dailey wrote:
>>     > On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Branko ÄŒibej <brane@xbc.nu
>>    <mailto:brane@xbc.nu>
>>     > <mailto:brane@xbc.nu <mailto:brane@xbc.nu>>> wrote:
>>     >
>>     >     Robert Dailey wrote:
>>     >     > Reason why I'm asking is because I've setup a couple of CMake
>>     >     scripts
>>     >     > to provide a means to build APR, APR-UTIL, and APR-ICONV.
>>     >     >
>>     >     > The less files I have to build to meet the requirements of
>>     >     Subversion,
>>     >     > the better. It would be great if you guys could tell me
>> exactly
>>     >     which
>>     >     > source files I need to build in all 3 APR libraries. I know
>>    that
>>     >     > Subversion uses apr_pool, but not sure about anything else.
>>     >     > Unfortunately the only way I'm going to be able to tell is
>>    through
>>     >     > missing symbol linker error later on when I try to link
>>    against the
>>     >     > subversion library.
>>     >
>>     >     Uh, sorry, if you're doing your own build scripts, then
>>    you're pretty
>>     >     much on your own ... especially as the list of files you have to
>>     >     compile
>>     >     will differ from platform to platform. For any one partiular
>>    platform,
>>     >     "nm" or local equivalent will tell you (almost) all you need
>>    to know.
>>     >
>>     >     AFAIK no-one has ever compiled a list of minimal required
>>    sources from
>>     >     APR; doesn't really make sense, we just recommend a
>>    particular set of
>>     >     apr(-util) versions.
>>     >
>>     >
>>     > I had to just to get APR building on Windows. They had some NMAKE
>>     > scripts already, but those did not function. I have all 3 APR
>>     > libraries building right now, so we'll see if they contain all of
>> the
>>     > code needed for Subversion when I build it later on. I'm going to be
>>     > creating CMake scripts for Subversion next, since the vc6-build.bat
>>     > file is ancient and broken as well :)
>>     >
>>     > If I get it somewhat functional, I will submit it to the Subversion
>>     > library. You guys can either choose to take it or leave it at that
>>     > point, but I absolutely need to do this to make it easier for people
>>     > (particularly myself) to build Subversion on Windows.
>>     >
>>     > Thanks for your help.
>>
>>    Aren't you wasting your time just a bit? Subversion does include a
> [...]

Yes, it was the INSTALL file I was looking at, sorry for the confusion. I
was viewing this one:
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/INSTALL

If you look at the "Building the Latest Source under Windows" section,
you'll see that it references vc6-built.bat in the section labeled "E.4
Building the Binaries".

Thanks to the help I've gotten so far, I now know about the buildbot script
files that are used on Windows. I had no idea that these existed before,
since I never saw any reading materials that mentioned them. I'll definitely
be looking into these quite a bit more and I'll hopefully be on my way to
building Subversion.

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2366148