List:       subversion-dev
Subject:    Re: Thoughts on libsvn_auth
From:       Justin Erenkrantz <justin () erenkrantz ! com>
Date:       2003-03-31 18:59:07

--On Monday, March 31, 2003 18:33:31 +0100 Philip Martin
<philip@codematters.co.uk> wrote:

> This has been suggested before, and last time I asked how it would
> work at checkout.  Doesn't auth occur before the UUID is available?

As I said before, it depends on your authentication model and what your
working copy state is.  For initial anon-read/auth-write repositories, it
should be possible to obtain the UUID before doing the commit.  For
auth-read/auth-write, you won't know initially what the UUID will be since
you can't look at the repository until you are authorized.  You'd just have
to prompt in all cases.

However, in this case where we have to prompt, it could be possible to have
the UUID available by the accept_credentials stage (i.e. the request
succeeded), so that the system could know, "oh, that credential is for this
UUID, store it with this new UUID."

On any subsequent operations, the UUID should be cached in the working
copy.  So, we have a hint as to what the UUID should be.  I'd guess UUID
collisions would be detected somewhere else - it's not auth's problem if
the UUID doesn't really match.

Now, all of this is being said without knowing exactly what the code does
right now.  So, this may be pie-in-the-sky.  But, it's what I would expect
to happen.  -- justin