List:       struts-user
Subject:    Re: Image buttons in Struts
From:       "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClanahan () eng ! sun ! com>
Date:       2000-07-20 18:52:03

Giuseppe Galli wrote:

> Hi all,
> I saw the response by Craig R. McClanahan to my question about the
> reason for use get/setter methods while its possible to access the
> fields object by introspection. There is no doubt that the
> philosophical reason is good, but in practise I always used
> introspection to set the fields with the values shipping with the
> response (Note that this eliminates the need for a new bean for each
> form! isn't this the major cumbersome in form data processing?).

It is certainly more cumbersome than it needs to be -- but tools that
can auto-generate form beans will go a long ways towards making it not
so bad.  I've been dreaming a little about a way to auto-generate a form
bean (including the validations for standard sorts of things) from a
description of that bean's interesting properties.

> However if the use of set/getter method is a must for form data
> processing, than my proposal is to handle composite data (e.g when you
> have parameteres named name.x ) with setter methods ( setX() ) in the
> object returned by get<Name>().

Something like this sounds best of what we've talked about so far, and
will do some "quality time" thinking about it next week, after I get
back from O'Reilly.

> What about? it seems reasonable and clear.
>
> Thanks all.

Craig