List:       struts-user
Subject:    Re: Testing Struts
From:       "Ted Husted" <husted () apache ! org>
Date:       2006-10-30 16:52:59

First, in the scope of Struts 2, something like STC isn't needed,
since Actions can be tested without mocks.

For Struts 1, I used Struts TestCase for some time, and it was quite
good, but it's not a replacement for business logic unit tests or
click-through UI tests. If you are testing the back-end, and the
front-end, testing the Struts middleware can be accepted on faith.

As for testing the backend and the frontend, here's a post from the other day.

On 10/27/06, Ted Husted <husted@apache.org> wrote:
> First, push as much business and data access logic as possible out of
> the Action class and into a POJO facade that the Action can call. In
> this way, you can test all that outside of the Action. The MailReader
> is a fair example of this, although the data access API is quirky and
> could be streamlined.
>
> After that, what's really left to test is the UI. For UI tests, I used
> WebTest for a long time, but now I strongly recommend Selenium.
>
> * http://www.openqa.org/selenium/
>
> The Selenium IDE (a FireFox plugin) includes a recorder to help jump
> start the tests, and then you can go back and edit the tests, and also
> add test that can't be easily recorded. (Like is a control disabled or
> text not present.)
>
> The best part is that the initial tests can be recorded in HTML and
> the convert to real Java code. The Java code can then be run as part
> of a standard JUnit test (if the Selenium proxy server is running in
> the background).
>
> I actually haven't used the Java tests myself, but I have used the C#
> tests under .NET, and they work great! I'd expect the Java tests to
> work at least as well.

-- HTH, Ted.
* http://www.husted.com/struts/