List:       struts-user
Subject:    Re: Hibernate data at startup
From:       Joe Germuska <Joe () Germuska ! com>
Date:       2005-09-30 12:34:34

Note that if you are running in a clustered environment (or want to
be ready to move to one without rewriting your application) this is
not a good solution.  The ServletContext is specifically not to be
shared amongst clustered interests according to the specifications.
This is particularly a problem if the data will ever be modified in
the application; if you really are reading it from the database but
only changing the database between application restarts, you could
probably get away with it.

Hibernate offers a flexible second-level cache which can provide the
kind of insulation against repeated trips to the database.  (see
http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/reference/en/html_single/#performance-cache)

If you really aren't using the database to update your menu, i'd
suggest just making it a Spring bean and populating it in XML; if you
implement the ServletContextAware and InitializingBean interfaces,
you can even have your bean put itself into the ServletContext at
initialization time.

Joe

At 12:12 AM -0500 9/30/05, Nick Heudecker wrote:
>You have a few options. To initialize Spring, you can either use the Struts
>plugin or the web app context listener. Once that's done you can either use
>a startup servlet or a Struts plugin to load the data and put it into the
>servlet context. That way it only needs to be loaded once and is shared
>throughout the application.
>
>It's pretty simple, but not very obvious.
>

>On 9/30/05, Martin Ravell <martin.ravell@fmsglobal.com> wrote:
>>
>>  I have Menu information for my app in the database which I would like to
>>  be
>>  able to load somehow when my app server starts up (or app is deployed).
>>  This
>>  would be much more efficient than the current method of having each user
>>  load it when they enter the application.
>>
>>  Can anyone suggest how to best go about doing this? The architecture is
>>  Struts, Hibernate and Spring.
>>

>>  Thanks
>>  Marty

Joe Germuska