List:       struts-dev
Subject:    Re: 1.3.0 Release - Next Steps
From:       Ted Husted <ted.husted () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-07-30 11:11:31

Basically, all we need to do is

* address any outstanding problem reports,
* update the release notes,
* test,
* tag,
* roll,
* post, and
* vote.

If the release is voted past test build, then we can sign it and link
it from the website.

If the release makes GA, or will be widely distributed, then we can
enter into the mirroring system.

Of course, the more often we release, the easier this guantlet
becomes. If the volunteers had time, and there were changes to
distribute, we've often said that we'd like to release every few
weeks,

But, first things first, we should resolve the problem reports and roll 1.3.0.

I went through the short list last night and pruned a couple that were
resolved or redundant.

The rest seem to have patches or coding advice that we could follow.
Off hand, I don't see any problem with applying the rest of the
tickets, so we should start doing that as we have time.

When you are ready to code, just post a comment to the ticket that you
are applying the fix now, and have at it. I won't get back to this
myself until early Monday morning, but then I can devote some time
each weekday morning. (It would be a great Monday morning surprise to
come back and find everything resolved!)

For the 1.3.0 release, I think addressing the problem tickets is
enough. But, for 1.3.1, we should also take a look at any enhancement
reports with patches.

At some point, we should reduce the enhancement reports *without*
patches to a omnibus "wish list" or "idea jar", so we can see the
forest for the trees. Of course, anyone with a Bugzilla and a Wiki
account could help with something like this. Once upon a time, I
started an idea jar page here:

* http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsIdeaJar

But, IMHO, focussing first on tickets with patches is vital. The
primary role of the committers and PMC is to help the community create
and maintain Struts. The community does this by supplying patches, and
Job One of the PMC should be to ensure that all patches are applied or
declined with cause.

An Apache project is not about a few shining stars, it's about a
thousand points of light, and those lights speak to us through patches
:)

Aside from the problem tickets, we have another twenty-odd enhancement
tickets with patches, which could be the focus of 1.3.1. There are
several Bugzilla query links on the Roadmap page.

* http://struts.apache.org/roadmap.html

But, again, for 1.3.0, let's resolve the problems that can be
resolved, and get something out on the floor :)

-Ted.