List:       strongswan-users
Subject:    Re: [strongSwan] Rekey by Datavolume + store public key
From:       Andreas Steffen <andreas.steffen () strongswan ! org>
Date:       2008-09-22 22:35:59

Hi Tobias,

tobias.gruber@uni-ulm.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is it possible to rekey by Datavolume. I only find a solution with time (sec).

rekeying by data volume is currently not supported. The native
NETKEY IPsec stack of the Linux 2.6 kernel is able to count transferred
bytes but we do not currently configure a volume threshold.

> and a 2. question:
> is there a possibility to store the public key (certificat) of the
> server on the client. So that the certificat must not be transfert all
> the time the client sets up a connection to the vpn server?

Yes, it is possible to store a peer certificate locally and to
suppress the in-band exchange of certificates via IKE.

For IKEv1 define:

config setup
     nocrsend=yes             # suppresses CR payload

conn xxx
     rightcert=peerCert.pem
     leftsendcert=never       # suppresses CERT payload

as in the IKEv1 example scenario

  http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults42/ikev1/default-keys/

and for IKEv2 define:

conn xxx
     rightcert=peerCert.pem
     leftcert=myCert.pem
     rightsendcert=never      # suppresses CR payload
     leftsendcert=never       # suppresses CERT payload

as in the IKEv2 example scenario

  http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults42/ikev2/default-keys/

> Regards
> Tobias