List:       strongswan-announce
Subject:    Re: [strongSwan-dev] Please advise which is the best option and a way forward
From:       Noel Kuntze <noel.kuntze+strongswan-dev-ml () thermi ! consulting>
Date:       2022-10-07 21:14:00

Hi Hilly,

Some things.

GMAC is a MAC, not a cipher. AES-256 in the description means AES-CBC-256. The \
keyword for that is just "aes256". Whether SHA256-128 or SHA256-96 depends on the \
other peer. the -96 version is the non-standardized one. Ask staff operating the \
other peer for details what they use. You're more constrained by what the kernel \
you're using can do because it's processing the traffic (using the negotiated esp \
proposal).

The proposal your client asked for is ...
ike=aes256-sha256-ecp256!
esp=aes256-sha256!

You can of course ask them to use AES-GCM and AES-XCBC.

Kind regards
Noel

--
Noel Kuntze
IT security consultant

GPG Key ID: 0x0739AD6C
Fingerprint: 3524 93BE B5F7 8E63 1372 AF2D F54E E40B 0739 AD6C