List:       strongswan-announce
Subject:    [strongSwan-dev] How to dump the network traffic packets from StrongSwan
From:       "Eric Chen" <eric201405 () mail ! com>
Date:       2014-04-22 3:19:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

I'm current working for a VPN solution that the client can connect to our VPN server \
and then access the internet, e.g. Google.com, Yahoo.com, ...

There is one requirement to dump all the network traffic into pcap format files, and \
we can want to trace back the traffic to specific VPN client, as we want to \
understand which website the client accessed, which kind info the client browsed, \
etc. Thus we want to use the the internal IP assigned by VPN server to VPN client to \
do this.

By using the TCPDump, we can get all the network traffic packet, but for all the HTTP \
response from remote web server to VPN client, we can only get the VPN server IP \
inside the HTPP reponse, not the client internal IP. But when we look at the HTTP \
request from VPN client, you can see the VPN client internal IP first, and it will be \
translated to VPN server IP. But there is no such translation for HTTP response.

So is there a way to get such kind of info from StongSwan?

We looked at the StrongSwan log file, and it looks like it didn't provide such info \
right now. Thus can anyone help us to provide some guidance about how/where to modify \
the code to dump those kind of info into log files?

Thanks a lot.

Eric