List:       stampede-linux-user
Subject:    Re: Installation Q
From:       mike <mbulmer () home ! com>
Date:       1999-09-13 6:00:26

gbeaty@ufl.edu wrote:

> Ok, I know this will sound stupid, but I have never used Linux or Unix
> before.
>
> I'm trying to install Stampede, but I don't know how to tell it which
> directory the files (package.dirs, etc.) are in!  It defaults to /mnt,
> but how do I tell it to go to c:\mnt? I don't know the syntax for Linux
> directories.
> Thanks

	The first thing to do is mount the partition you are installing from
with the command "mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt" if you are installing
from winblows, or "mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /mnt" if it's A dos
partition.  This is assuming you are installing from the first partition
of your main hardrive, hda1 might A different value on your system, but
you would know.  Then run setup and when it asks where package.dirs is
/mnt=C:\ so you should just add the location on C:\ where you downloaded
Stampede i.e. /mnt/current.  This value might also be different,
depending on where put Stampede when you downloaded it.  If I have just
confused you I'm sorry, that was not my intent.  Please persevere and
install Linux anyway you wont be sorry.

	Mike Bulmer