List:       stampede-linux-user
Subject:    Re: X related question
From:       Ville Syrjala <villes () syrjala ! pp ! sci ! fi>
Date:       1999-05-24 13:47:21

On Sun, 23 May 1999 atze@hit.priv.at wrote:

> problem: i recently set up a new x-system, using gnome with enlightenment,
> quite as usual i think, but, if i started e-conf or gmenu as root to set
> up the basic menus and settings i always got a broken pipe if i pressed
> any button.
> any idea what i did wrong ?

 Did you start X, gnome-session and the rest of it as a user and then used
su or something to become root? If this is the case then the problem you
described happened to me as well.
 The problem is esd. Copy the .esd_auth file from the user's home dir to
root's home dir and the problem should go away. Or you could use esdctl to
command esd to accept all connections, or you could start the specific
application using a swicth (don't remember what it is right now) to tell
it not to use sounds/esd.
 I have a small script I run everytime I su to root. This script runs
xauth and iceauth to merge the auth records from the user to root and it
also copies the .esd_auth file. xauth is not necessary if you use host
authentication ( shame on you :) ). I'm not sure whether iceauth is
necessary. Anyone care to describe it's purpose?

---
Ville Syrjälä
syrjala@sci.fi
http://www.sci.fi/~syrjala/