List:       stackguard
Subject:    Re: performance overheads
From:       David Brewster <david () internation ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-11-13 10:57:58

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 10:49:56AM -0800, Chris Wright wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> We use Immunix extensively here and as a daily user I can comfortably
> say I've never noticed any performance degradation (while it may be
> measureable, it's not empirically noticeable).
>
> rpciod and ftp are (at face value) unrelated.  rpciod is...you guessed
> it...the RPC I/O daemon, I believe it handles async requests.  The only
> way I can imagine a relation is if your user was either 'putting to' or
> 'getting from' an NFS partition.

He was I think.

> Please keep us informed...

I came in at the weekend to look at his machine ( I was going to try replacing
the network card) however, I started enlightenment, then started ftping
a redhat image, started 5 netscapes and the load never went above 0.15 (after
calming down from starting X etc). I think he was running emacs though (i'll
blame that ;) Either that or the fairly old window manager he uses.

Don't think it's a stackguard problem after all.

David