List:       stackguard
Subject:    Re: Stable version
From:       Crispin Cowan <crispin () wirex ! com>
Date:       2000-07-01 0:47:46

Miguel Omar Carvajal wrote:

> Hi there,
>    When will the 1.21 version of stackguard be stable?

Since 1.21 is based on the old GCC 2.7.* compiler, and the world has
moved on to the EGCS-based GCC 3.0 compiler.  We moved, too, hence the
StackGuard 2.0 release.

Thus 1.21 is the last release of the GCC 2.7.* versions.  It will not be
updated.

As to it's "stability", We don't know of any problems with it, but it
has not been tested thoroughly, and is not going to be.  We define
"stable" as "survived a build-o-rama" (re-build an entire Linux
distribution from source).  StackGuard 1.21 is marked "unstable" only
because we have not done a build-o-rama with it.  We have no plans to do
so (because it cannot compile a modern glibc, and thus cannot compile
Red Hat 6.*) so it's status is also not going to change.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com
Free Hardened Linux Distribution:                 http://immunix.org