List:       ssic-linux-users
Subject:    Re: [SSI-users] Can OpenSSI Be Used for General-Purpose Computing?
From:       John Hughes <john () Calva ! COM>
Date:       2008-09-01 15:28:43

Robert Wachinger wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 12:17:37PM +0200, John Hughes wrote:
>
>> An OpenSSI cluster tries to look as much like one big multi-processor
>> machine as possible.
>>

> As far as I know, with one big difference:
>
> On a multiprocessor machine the OS' scheduler chooses automatically,
> on which processor a process will run.
> In OpenSSI the default is, that a process (with all of its threads)
> runs on the node, where it is started, unlesse you say explicitely
> otherwise (e.g. started in a "bash-ll", your application is made known
> to be able to migrate or so ...).
>
> Or is that not correct (any more)?

Yup.  If /proc/pid/loadlevel is zero a process will not be moved from
one node to another by the loadlevel logic.

If /proc/pid/pin is zero you can still migrate the process by hand (by
writing a node number to /proc/pid/goto).

(As you say, the normal way of setting /proc/pid/loadlevel is to run
/bin/bash-ll, or any other program mentioned in
/proc/cluster/loadlevellist).