List:       ssic-linux-users
Subject:    Re: [SSI-users] IP address migration?
From:       "Brian J. Watson" <Brian.J.Watson () hp ! com>
Date:       2005-04-20 23:38:22

Aneesh Kumar wrote:
> you may also want to change /etc/cvip.conf. I guess you can use name
> instead of IP in cvip.conf. In that case you need to change only the
> DNS.  But then it is quiet confusing because if you try to rebuild the
> initrd changing /etc/clustertab i guess it will complain that the IP
> address defined in /etc/clustertab is wrong. I don't remember the
> error. May be this limitation is no more there.

Yes, this limitation is still in effect. The problem is that the netmask
is not specified in /etc/clustertab, so mkinitrd needs a local interface
to be configured with one of the addresses in /etc/clustertab so that it
can parse the netmask from that interface.

In retrospect, I probably should have made the netmask part of
/etc/clustertab. The reason I didn't was because it's kind of an odd bit
of data in that it must be exactly the same for all nodes. It doesn't
fit well in a file format that specifies unique information for each
node on each line.

The only procedure that I know for certain works is:

1) Make the necessary changes to /etc/clustertab (and /etc/cvip.conf, if
necessary).

2) Reboot the original node into the base.

3) Configure its cluster interconnect NIC with the desired new IP
address and netmask.

4) Run mkinitrd -f --cfs /boot/initrd-<kernel_version>.img <kernel_version>

(this rebuilds /etc/dhcpd.conf, as well as the initrd image)

5) Run ssi-ksync (as Roger observed should be done)

6) Reboot back into OpenSSI and let all the dependent nodes join. Nodes
that have local boot devices should be network booted on this one
occasion, since they were down when ssi-ksync was run.

7) Run ssi-ksync again for the benefit of nodes with local boot devices.

Sorry this isn't more friendly for minimal downtime requirements.
Suggestions for improvement would be gladly accepted.

Regards,

Brian