List:       ssic-linux-users
Subject:    [SSI-users] OpenSSI cluster node as a VMWare machine
From:       "Walker, Bruce J" <bruce.walker () hp ! com>
Date:       2004-11-03 1:13:01

Has anyone tried running VMWare on windows and then having an OpenSSI
node as the OS running in the virtual machine?
Given you had a boot disk (with an OpenSSI kernel and ramdisk in it) in
a file under Windows and given that file is mapped to the boot disk, it
seems like it might work.  Networking from the VMWare machine is NAT
thru the host so the OpenSSI node would appear to have the same IP
address as the host windows machine (which could be a problem if it is
picked via DHCP), but, that withstanding,  I think it might work.

Are there open source equivalents to VMWare that also run under windows
(I know XEN can run on the bare hardware and allow multiple local
virtual machines but I don't think it can run as a process under
Windows)?  Could qemu be useful?

Bruce