List:       ssic-linux-users
Subject:    Re: [SSI-users] Re: openSSI webView 0.1 released!
From:       Kilian CAVALOTTI <kilian.cavalotti () stix ! polytechnique ! fr>
Date:       2004-11-02 12:03:27

On Tuesday 02 November 2004 11:56, En Chiang Lee wrote:
> > If you have shared disk hardware, the initnode can go down without
> > the whole cluster going down.
>
> The cluster will fail only when *all* the initnodes go down.

I know that. But with shared hardware, your init nodes will very likely be
located in the same physical area, while your other nodes could be
wherever. So, in case of power (or network) outage, both of your init nodes
will be unaccessible from the rest of the cluster, then, you know what. :)

Well, all I wanted to say is that init nodes have a special status on a
openSSI cluster, at least without a mean to dynamically ditribute the root
filesystem all over the cluster.

(Below are pure suggestions, with absolutly no idea of realizability)
I think I've read CFS was based on NFS: can't we imagine a version of CFS
with file caching, like AFS or CodaFS? This way, 'init nodes' would become
'booting nodes', and we could approach the real and perfect peer-to-peer
cluster infrasctructure, with no special status for any node. You probably
already know CacheFS, it can perhaps be useful in this case:
http://www.kerneltraffic.org/kernel-traffic/kt20041030_281.html#2

--
Kilian CAVALOTTI                               Ingénieur Systèmes & Réseaux
Laboratoire STIX                                        École Polytechnique