List:       ssic-linux-users
Subject:    Re: [SSI-users] Linux Terminal Server Cluster
From:       "Brian J. Watson" <Brian.J.Watson () hp ! com>
Date:       2004-05-04 21:45:47

Asle Pedersen wrote:
> Then it hit me that a single workstation under each developers desk
> might be a bit old-fashion. So I have instead been wondering about
> hosting a small blade server (perhaps
> http://www.appro.com/promotion/special_clusters_mini.asp) in the
> server-room and use the old workstations (mainly p3 with around 256mb+
> memory) as thin clients to a Linux Terminal Server Cluster.  This
> strikes me as a more flexible, scalable and not to mention maintainence
> friendly setup. However I would really like to hear opinions on this
> approach before doing it.

In effect, this will let you manage everything as a single giant
machine, and you can grow your LTSP server capacity on the fly as needed
by adding new blades to the OpenSSI cluster. I have much more experience
doing software development than system administration, but this seems
like a very manageable solution.

Brian