List:       ssic-linux-devel
Subject:    [SSI-devel] Merging changes from RH branch back to vanilla tree.
From:       "Aneesh Kumar K.V" <aneesh.kumar () digital ! com>
Date:       2003-04-23 15:57:46

Hi All,

	I tried last two days trying to merge the changes from RH branch and
found that it is not a simple task at all. More difficult if one doesn't
have an understanding about the subsystem that is getting modified.

Are we planning to merge the changes back from RH branch. If yes how
frequent ?

In case of merging we can make it less time consuming by following
something as below . What do you guys think ? Is it going to take more
time out of development activity ?

1) Main bug-fixes and enhancements happen in RH branch

2) As developers find free time they merge the changes back to vanilla
tree. This should be easy for who ever made the changes/enhancement
since that person knows the code better. This can happen once in two
weeks. The developer just make sure that things builds and logically
follow the correct code sequence.

3) Meanwhile people interested in vanilla tree can checkout the code and
try building the kernel themselves.

4) people can send the patches if the build fails or if they find some
problems associated with cvs code base, which get committed to the cvs
by developers.

-aneesh