List:       sr-dev
Subject:    Re: [Serdev] msg_send: ERROR: udp_send failed
From:       Jiri Kuthan <jiri () iptel ! org>
Date:       2004-05-29 13:11:34

At 11:13 AM 5/29/2004, Juha Heinanen wrote:
>Juha Heinanen writes:
>
> > sorry about the previous posting.  i had forgotten mhomed=yes from
> > ser.cfg of this proxy.
>
>on the other hand, why can't ser automatically turn mhomed on if it is
>listening on more than one interface?  or is these some application where
>it makes sense that ser listens on multiple interfaces, but can't send
>packets out correctly?

SER has been originally designed to forward UDP requests on the same
interface it received them. This didn't work in some multihomed scenarios,
like natted environments or in cases like this. I introduced the mhomed hack
which leverages IP routing through a temporary UDP socket connect to determine
proper outbound interface. (We need to know it to be able to print appropriate
IP in Via.) It is optional because some people think it is a horrible hack.

-jiri