List:       sr-dev
Subject:    [Serdev] Does Nathelper crash SER?
From:       "Johan B" <sip_johan () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2003-12-23 10:54:22

Hi,

I have stumbled on some kind of problem which I believe is related to the
Nathelper module. SER crashes when forwarding a request that has had the
contact header rewritten twice. I can reproduce the error on both the 0.8.12
release and the latest cvs tarball.

I use Nathelper in combination with the Mangler module, which also rewrites
the contact header. A simple test case is to have a route block like this:

fix_nated_contact();
encode_contact(”prefix”, ”<ip addr>”);

rewritehostport(“<ip addr>”);
t_relay();

SER crashes when rendering the final request header, going through the lump
lists.

The reason I suspect Nathelper to do something wrong is that you may have
two encode_contact() calls in your route block (not using Nathelper at all),
but you will crash when having two fix_nated_contact() calls (and not using
Mangler). Naturally, having two identical rewrites is not of practical
interest but a way to illustrate the problem.

I am not clever enough to fully understand why and where we get the memory
corruption that results in a seg fault. I’m running SER on a Linux box
(kernel 2.4.20) and using WM 5.0 as test client sending REGISTERs to the
proxy.

Hopefully some one else can tell what’s going on here and how the crash can
be solved, or at least point me in the right direction.

Happy holidays
Regards,
Johan