List:       sqwebmail
Subject:    Re: [sqwebmail] attachments problems
From:       James A Baker <sqwebmail () mboro ! org>
Date:       2004-10-21 12:43:13

On Oct 21, 2004, at 07:11, Steve Hostnik wrote:

> Matteo,
>
> This was explained to me when I had the same issue as sqwebmail
> supporting a
> new RFC that older e-mail programs don't understand.  If your file
> attachment has spaces or special characters it uses the new RFC that
> Outlook
> can't understand.  You need to rename the file attachment something
> without
> spaces or special characters and resend it.  I'm not sure why sqwebmail
> isn't backwards compliant.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

I might be mistaken, as I haven't had to discuss it recently nor deal
with the problem much... But I don't think it's that SqWebMail complies
with a "new" RFC exactly, or that it's in any way "not backwards
compliant."

If I remember the details properly, it's simply that Outlook doesn't
follow the long-standing rules for naming attachments that all mail
systems are supposed to follow, and SqWebMail (and actually the entire
Courier system in general, for that matter) is unforgiving about other
systems that are slack about supporting standards.

[Editorial note]
Personally, I think other programmers should always behave this way...
And *NEVER* give Microsoft (in particular, and other lame programmers
in general) the slack that they often get, whereby so many so-called
"bugs" in good programs are fixed by adding hacks to support the stupid
programs.

But then, that's me.
[Steps off soap box.]

-jab

["smime.p7s" (application/pkcs7-signature)]