List:       sqwebmail
Subject:    Re: [sqwebmail] Howto compare to squirrelmail ???
From:       Brian Candler <B.Candler () pobox ! com>
Date:       2004-05-09 8:57:30

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 06:05:59PM -0500, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> No, this not a `which is better' troll.
>
> Rather, I am installing both, trying to determine which is better for
> our situation.

I've never done such a side-by-side comparison, but one thing to consider is
the size of your userbase.

sqwebmail is written in C; it bypasses IMAP and goes straight to the
Maildir; and it has a very lightweight CGI stub which talks to a pool of
persistent sqwebmaild processes. This means that it scales very well to a
large ISP environment. If you have a small userbase then this won't be an
issue.

OTOH, because sqwebmail needs direct access to the Maildir, either you will
have to run sqwebmail on the same box which runs your other mail services
(inbound SMTP, POP3, IMAP), or you will need to start building a cluster
using NFS.

Regards,

Brian.