List:       sqwebmail
Subject:    Re: [sqwebmail] image problems--update
From:       Brian Candler <B.Candler () pobox ! com>
Date:       2004-04-11 8:39:42

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 12:18:34PM -0800, David Loutrel wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 01:01, Brian Candler wrote:
> <snip>
> > There's your problem. You need to set --enable-imageurl=/images
> > (right now it appears you have --enable-imageurl=images)
> >
> > Because you're missing the initial slash, your web browser is interpreting
> >     images/graybottomright.png
> > as a relative URL, making it
> >     /cgi-bin/sqwebmail/images/graybottomright.png
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Brian.
> >

> Brian,
>
> Thanks for your assistance. However after much coffee and very little
> sleep, as well as trying the /images approach I found that the only
> imageurl that would get me out of the cgi-bin was a hardlinked url:
> http://[ip]/images/sqwebmail

I don't understand. For example,

http://66.33.21.181/images/graybottomright.png

worked perfectly for me yesterday. It now gives a 404 error.

It seems to me that you are changing too many things at once, which is never
a good approach to debugging.

You have now changed things so that

http://66.33.21.181/images/sqwebmail/graybottomright.png

works. In which case, you would have to build sqwebmail with
--enable-imageurl=/images/sqwebmail for the CGI to generate HTML pages with
the correct image location.

FWIW, if it were me what I would do is:
(1) build everything as default (./configure with no options)
(2) install and prove that it works
(3) start tweaking options - at which point if things no longer work, then I
know that it was something *I* did which broke things

Brian.