List:       sqwebmail
Subject:    [sqwebmail] Re: Using virtual domains
From:       "George Shaunfield" <george () accountron ! com>
Date:       2003-03-28 15:11:08

Andrew Ingram writes:

> On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 13:35, Szabo Nandor wrote:
> > > "The other way to implement virtual domains is by using a custom
> > > authentication back-end, such as LDAP or MySQL". I'm using the MySQL
> > > authentication back end.
> > >
> > > What I don't understand is that when one of these users logs into
> > > SqWebmail, they become user@hostname, and not user@domain as they have
> > > entered at the SqWebmail login prompt. This affects their from address
> > > when composing an email. Does this mean that the FAQ entry is wrong? Or
> > > is there some more configuration to do to make this work with SqWebmail?
> > > I have a system that delivers all the email just fine, it's just getting
> > > SqWebmail to recognise the person's domain that is the problem (they
> > > authenticate just fine).
> > >
> > > Any tips?
> >
> > That this problem is occur, then user type uid at sqwebmail prompt, not the
> > full e-mail address.
> >
> > In my LDAP environment, I gave my DEFAULT_DOMAIN in authldaprc, so I can
> > login by typing just uid.
> > and
> > Put a file named "hostname" to  sqwebmail directory (/usr/local/sqwebmail),
> > contaning the DEFAULT_DOAMAIN.
> >
> > I think, with MYSQL it is similar.
> > It is documented in "Runtime configuration" section.
> >
> > Nandor Szabo
>

> Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. You are correct, there is
> a default domain name in the authmysqlrc configuration file. But setting
> this does not affect how the user is reported at the top right of the
> SqWebmail screen and in the From field when you compose a new email. In
> both these cases, you get user@hostname. It seems that the default
> domain gets discarded and is only used during the authentication SQL.
>
> This can be semi-cured by creating a hostname file in the same place as
> authmysqlrc and putting the default domain in there as well, but then
> this only works for people of one domain, hardly a virtual domain
> solution. I'm not sure why there is this separation between domain and
> hostname, and why, both seem to need to be set for things to work (and
> for only one domain).
>
> The fix, for anyone interested, it to change the code. I've only just
> done this 5 minutes ago, and so it needs more testing, but if you go to
> where the source code is, and go into the authlib directory, edit the
> authmysql.c file and on line 80 (ish), you'll see a call to a function
> called "authsuccess". The 5th parameter is "authinfo->username" which is
> just the username. Remove "authinfo->username" and replace it with
> "authdata". Authdata is a parameter given to the function you are
> looking at and is basically (from what i can tell), what the user writes
> in the login box in SqWebmail. This means that if they just type "user"
> into the login box, then the whole default domain/hostname thing comes
> in to play, but now with my change, if they type user@domain, it will
> [...]

The INSTALL file under "Runtime Configuration" says:

"/usr/local/share/sqwebmial/nochangingfrom - if this file exists (it can be
a 0-length dummy file), SqWebMail will not allow the From: header to be
changed. It will always have its default value."

You may want to create that file and see what happens.

George