List:       squirrelmail-users
Subject:    Re: [SM-USERS] mail delivery failure
From:       "Fredrik Jervfors" <jervfors () squirrelmail ! org>
Date:       2009-10-07 17:27:12

> Since a few days I'm having a problem with sending e-mails. Whenever I
> send an e-mail I get a message back from the Mail Delivery System with the
> subject line 'Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender'. The
> message has the following text:
>
> "This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
> [here the email address of the recipient: abcd@abcd.com]
> Unrouteable address"

As you can see, the message isn't from SquirrelMail but from a SMTP
server. If <abcd@abcd.com> is the intended recipient there shouldn't be
anything wrong with your SquirrelMail installation. If you've written some
other recipient address and then had it changed into <abcd@abcd.com> by
the mail system it might be (although not very likely) a problem with your
SquirrelMail installation.

> I can only send the original e-mail by going into my 'Sent' Inbox and
> forwarding the e-mail to the same person I originally sent it to.

Shouldn't be a SquirrelMail problem then.

> I have never had this problem before. Does anyone know what causes it and
> how it can be solved? I hope it's not due to some virus I have in my
> Mac.

Doesn't sound like a virus to me. More likely a configuration change
somewhere between your SMTP server and the recipients SMTP server. Note
that this might be out of your control. The administrator of the SMTP
server sending you the error message should be able to help you with this.

--
Fredrik Jervfors
The SquirrelMail Project