List:       squirrelmail-users
Subject:    Re: [SM-USERS] deleted imap messages in outlook auto purged
From:       Don Russell <don () drussell ! dnsalias ! com>
Date:       2006-12-28 22:04:46

David R. Hopkins wrote:
> My messaging environment includes:
> RedHat EL 4
> Cyrus IMAP
> Postfix
> Apache webserver
> Squirrelmail 1.4.6-7.el4 for mobile users
> MSOutlook 2002 with IMAP account configured on client computers
>
> Users are not permitted to purge mail. We are a healthcare facility and
> all e-mail messages must be kept. Here is my problem:
> When a user reads e-mail in Outlook and deletes the message, Outlook puts a line \
> through it. We "Hide Deleted Messages" from view and this way we can retrieve any \
> deleted message if needed. If a user reads his/her e-mail using Squirrelmail, all \
> of these messages are purged and cannot be retrieved. How do we make Squirrelmail \
> play nicely with Outlook? Unfortunately replacing Outlook is not an option. Thank \
> you in advance for any suggestions or advice, Dave.

Relying on client-software to behave in a certain way to protect mail
messages from being deleted is a very poor design. Consider a malicious
user who deliberately tries to delete e-mail for one reason or
another... maybe your e-mail client works the way you want, but do users
have physical access to the PC? Can they install their own client? Could
they boot from CD and install who knows what and delete all their e-mail?

The proper place to ensure e-mail is kept is at the e-mail server,
before it even gets to a client.

If you are running sendmail/procmail each incoming message can easily be
saved to some protected mailbox.

A recipe in /etc/.procmailrc :

> 0 c
keepForever

Would put every arriving message in the "KeepForever" folder.
This is the most basic form.... you might want to add a header like
(10years? whatever) data