List:       squirrelmail-users
Subject:    Re: [SM-USERS] Bayesspam slow -- how do I enable server side
From:       "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad () shire ! net>
Date:       2003-11-30 5:45:56

On Nov 29, 2003, at 9:53 PM, Jerry Asher wrote:

>  Message: 5
>> Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 12:17:00 +0200 (EET)
>> Subject: Re: [SM-USERS] Bayesspam slow -- how do I enable server side
>>      filtering?
>> From: "Tomas Kuliavas" <tokul@users.sourceforge.net>
>> To: squirrelmail-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>>
>>> 1) How do I enable server side filtering with the Bayesspam module?
>>>
>>> My naive belief is that SpamAssassin can be set up for Bayesian spam
>>> prevention, but the SquirrelMail Bayesspam module must necessarily be
>>> doing filtering on login.
>>
>> Use maildrop/procmail filtering. It works on server side during
>> delivery
>> stage. Use spamassassin bayes filters. Use sa-learn and special email
>> accounts (user-salearn-ham@domain.tld and
>> user-salearn-spam@domain.tld) to
>> train spamassassin. Entire setup is complex and depends on your email
>> system setup.
>
> Tomas, thanks for the help, I'll look into that.  Specifically
> regarding
> these salearn filters, am I right in guessing that I forward spam to
> user-salearn-spam and ham to user-salearn-ham?

That does not work.  Part of the SpamAssassin Bayesian filter bit works
on the headers.  If you forward, you no longer have the headers.  I
asked this very question this past summer in the SpamAssassin list and
got a good explanation of why that doesn't work.  You can go to their
list and check any archives for a good explanation of how it works.

I use the "exim" MTA with a thing called SA-exim which is a local
filter for exim that hands off to the spamd spamassassin daemon.  This
is for system wide filtering.

Chad