List:       squirrelmail-users
Subject:    Re: [SM-USERS] Reports of Us Spamming People
From:       "Tomas Kuliavas" <tokul () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2006-09-30 5:43:39

> Fedora Core 4
> Squirrelmail Version 1.46
> PHP 4.4.2
> Apache 2.0.58
> ZendOptimizer 3.0.0
> Sendmail 8.13.7-2
> Courier Imap on a remote machine
>

> We are getting lots of people saying we are spamming them, when we did our
> research it looks like someone has a plugin or something that can send
> spam email through the squirrelmail interface or on port 80 without using
> the compose window. has anyone heard of this, and do you know how to fix
> it?

1. Your server is listed in SORBS RBL.
http://www.au.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?63.204.205.196

"opt-out spam to former customers from mail2.outpost.com
(mail2.outpost.com [63.204.205.152]) by (Dan).spamtrap.server
(8.10.2/8.10.2) with ESMTP id jBK86Kx30267 for [email]; Tue, 20 Dec 2005
02:06:21 -0600"

If you don't run outpost.com server, then you got hit when SORBS extended
blacklist to whole C subnet. SORBS should extend IP range only when they
have to deal with spammer friendly ISP. Contact your ISP and talk with
them about it. Consider changing ISPs if they don't fix outpost.com
issues.

2. Your outgoing emails get "(may be forged)" flag on your outgoing SMTP
server.

--
Tomas