List:       squirrelmail-users
Subject:    Re: [SM-USERS] SquirrelMail suddenly painfully slow and often "page
From:       "Tomas Kuliavas" <tokul () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2006-09-26 6:03:00

>>> I have that problem too. But only when there the account has a lot of
>>> e-mail in it.
>>clip clip clip
>>
>> Yeah, but UW is probably the last IMAP server you want to run if you
>> really want a solid, fast, and full featured mail server.
>
> I'm not sure why you want to castigate the UW-IMAP server. It, afterall,
> is the choice
> of Redhat in their distributions. Probably because it is mature, bug-free
> and stable.

So why they switched to dovecot?

UW IMAP server is mature, stable and coded for 30 years of backwards
compatibility. 30 year old unix mailbox format is slow. This mailbox
format was not designed for mailboxes that hold big amounts of data.
Server does not have configuration file supported by upstream. It makes UW
IMAP unsuitable for distribution packages, because server must be
recompiled for different setups.

You can optimize UW IMAP, if you know how to do that. I can't recommend
that for custom cpanel uw build, because I don't know what kind of
modifications are applied by cpanel.

--
Tomas