List:       squirrelmail-users
Subject:    Re: [SM-USERS] Squirrelmail + avelsieve + dovecot: is it possible?
From:       "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti () mclink ! it>
Date:       2006-08-19 14:36:11

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 15:48:13 PM +0200, jam@qv90.de (jam@qv90.de)
wrote:

> > Just one question: do these extra folders need to follow some
> > special naming/format convention to be seen immediately the next
> > time I log into squirrelmail?
>
> Just create folder im SM, install serverside filter plugin and then
> you've a new option in option menue where you can define the rules
> for "sorting" in the mails.

I have the impression that there is still some misunderstanding
here. If so, surely part of it is my fault.

The server running postfix + dovecot + squirrelmail is a remote
machine. Everything is already working there, with the exception of
this "separate folders" issue.

The home Linux PC where fetchmail is already running is my default
PC. Normally I just connect to the server with fetchmail, download
everything, without keeping it there, sort it on my drive with
procmail, and am happy with it.

So, once everything is set, I won't need to keep messages on the
server, or install fetchmail _there_. I only want to see mail sorted
in squirrelmail (in the same way they already are at home) for those
periods when I'm away from home, and as soon as I return, move
everything from the server to the home PC. Therefore seems there is no
need for me to install serverside filter, is it? Seems like I only
have to set up procmail on the server with the same rules I already
have at home, right? Or not?  Sorry if I'm looping over and over on
this, I just want it to be clear also for future users, and I cannot
test it myself till next week.

In other words, I think I have understood your explanation below, but
can it work /is it doable/necessary when postfix+dovecot+SM are on one
machine and fetchmail only on another?

> I've setup fetchmail as a daemon and build the configuration file
> /etc/fetchmailrc. I don't use fetchmail for sorting, so no
> experiences about that. My fetchmail is set up to deliver the mail
> to jam@qv90.de locally. This name is known by MTA (postfix).
> Fetchmail does not modify message (no changes to "TO:" field). As a
> result, all messages arrives in my SM INBOX unmodified.  (first
> Step)

The last paragraph is an example of what I meant. I only need
fetchmail on the home PC, and the mailboxes seen through squirrelmail
are only on the server. If I download stuff at home via fetchmai, they
do not "arrive to my SM INBOX" anymore. Unless I use the keep option,
which then would leave the message in Squirrelmail the next time I
open it: even if I only want to use SM to read email arrived "since
the last time I checked it at home".

Again, I'll test anyway everything you suggest by myself sometimes
next week, to learn more if nothing else, but I wanted to post these
doubts to save time and serve as future reference.

I will also post a summary of what I did here when everything will
work as I need it.

Ciao and thanks,

	Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 5 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

Any medium powerful enough to extend man's reach is powerful enough to
topple his world.  To get the medium's magic to work for one's aims
rather than against them is to attain literacy.
       Alan Kay, "Computer Software", Scientific American, Sep. 1984