List:       squirrelmail-users
Subject:    [SM-USERS] Squirrelspell failure - problem in php - any ideas?
From:       Lee Brink <lcb5 () cornell ! edu>
Date:       2003-01-31 14:36:51

Good morning.

Earlier I posted a problem I encountered with the SquirrelSpell plugin
always complaining about aspell being misconfigured. I've delved deeper
into the problem and now I'm stumped on how to proceed.

What SquirrelSpell does is check the return code for the exec() command
after executing the spell checker. If a -1 is returned, then there was
an error and the "You're misconfigured" error box appears. However I did
some testing, and the exec() command in php v4.2.3 ALWAYS returns a -1
regardless if there was an error or not.

When I built php I used the following configure command:

./configure --prefix=/server/sw/02 --enable-track-vars
--enable-force-cgi-redirect --with-gettext --with-ldap=/server/sw/01
--with-apxs=/server/sw/prod_apache/bin/apxs

When I checked the PHP manual online I saw the following comment:

When I compiled php with "--enable-sigchild", all calls to exec set
return_var to -1. When I recompiled without "--enable-sigchild", all
calles to exec set return_var to the expected value.

I hope that maybe this helps someone.

However, I did not compile with that switch so I can't remove it.

Has anyone seen this issue when building PHP for SquirrelMail, and if so
how you got around the problem?

Thanks for your help

	Lee

--