List:       squirrelmail-stable
Subject:    Re: [SM-STABLE] Scalability and Reliability
From:       ODHIAMBO Washington <wash () wananchi ! com>
Date:       2003-06-03 14:26:57

* Steven Ting <sting@mail.mcneese.edu> [20030603 16:57]: wrote:
> I was wondering how scalable SM can be.  We want to use it in a
> University Setting with approsimately 8000 users.  We're planning to
> have this on a P4 2.6 GHz machine with 2GB of RAM, running SM and IMAP.
> Anyone have any experiences with a large user base?
>
> I need to get some documented facts for our Head IT guy before he will
> agree to roll out SM on the campus.  I guess I am posing this question
> to the commercial users and educational institutions.  Our current
> solution is Skryrix and he wants to move to Horde.  He's willing to move
> to SM if I can prove to him that it is very stable.

Between Horde and Squirrelmail, I will go for both ;-)
SM is easy to get up and running. Horde/IMP takes a bit of tweaking.
I see no futher differences.
On our site, which has over 8k users (http://webmail.wananchi.com),
I run SM, just because of it's simplicity. I've never bothered about
scalability. The box I used to use was a pentium 11 (450MHz) dual CPU
with 1GB Ram and I never had any performance hits. Now I run it on
a sluggish Xserve (OS X) and I hear a lot of complaints but since
I am not that familiar with OS X, I haven't bothered. In fact I have
greatly considered moving it to a Compaq Server (2.4GHz, 1GB RAM).

Just to please your boss, this is an ISP environment.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington   <wash@wananchi.com>  "The box said 'Requires
Wananchi Online Ltd.  www.wananchi.com      Windows 95, NT, or better,'