List:       squirrelmail-stable
Subject:    [SM-STABLE] slow sqimap_mailbox_list
From:       "Hal Roberts" <hroberts () cyber ! law ! harvard ! edu>
Date:       2003-02-18 19:12:58

In sqimap_mailbox_list in functions/imap_mailbox.php, squirrelmail not
only requests a list of subscribed folder from the imap server but also
lists each folder individually.  Even though each call to list only takes
about 0.1 seconds, I am subscribed to about 50 folders, so this one
function was adding about 5 seconds to the generation of almost every
page.  After staring at the code for about 10 minutes, I can't figure out
why the code is even bothering to do the nested lists.  It doesn't seem to
do anything with the information that it gets back that couldn't be done
by assuming a return value of "* LIST (\Marked) \"/\" \"$mbx\"\n".  I've
hacked my version of the code to do exactly that, and squirrelmail is now
responsive enough to use as my main mail reader.

I know next to nothing about the imap protocol, so I'm likely missing
something vital here, but shouldn't skipping those nested list calls at
least be a user option, given the huge impact on performance?