List:       squirrelmail-plugins
Subject:    Re: [SM-PLUGINS] Web-disk for Squirrelmail
From:       Paul Lesniewski <paul () squirrelmail ! org>
Date:       2012-05-19 0:17:01

First, do not top-post on this list.  If you don't know what that
means, please read the mailing list posting guidelines that you were
already asked to read when you subscribed.

>>> Hi All, I have installed squirrel-mail in my mail server. I want to use,
>>> web-disk or some kind that would help in attaching or uploading html web
>>> pages in a folder like "public_html residing in each and every mail
>>> accounts". As in the case of openwebmail, we have "Web-Disk" which serv=
es
>>> the purpose. For example, I have a domain name say www.foo.com; If I ha=
ve
>>> some web pages on the account myfoo and the folder public_html carries
>>> one
>>> index.html file; so ideally "www.foo.com/~myfoo" should open the
>>> index.html
>>> page. I have actually seen some plugin which has to be compiled in the
>>> conf.pl file but now I have forgotten! So, could you please guide me in
>>> getting the requisite plugin or some useful information? Thanks in
>>> Advance
>>
>> What you appear to be looking for is a way for your users to access
>> the local system hard drive with some kind of file management
>> interface built into the webmail software. =A0It's best to state your
>> goal clearly and understand the security implications for this kind of
>> functionality (do you?). =A0If that's what you want, you should try the
>> File Manager plugin. =A0If the one on the website doesn't work, you can
>> ask me offlist for an updated version that works.
>
>      Thank you very much for the response. Let me explain clearly what i
> want. I would like to start with an example of "OPENWEBMAIL". Say, there =
is
> a user account called <sudeep> which has got its home directory in "-d
> /user1/sudeep" with its inbox in "/var/spool/mail". I issue the commands
> like "chown -R sudeep:mail /user1/sudeep" and
> "chmod -R 755 /user1/sudeep"; and my website gets displayed as
> institute-domain-name.com/~sudeep

That is not "clear" at all.  An example of "OPENWEBMAIL" means little
except that Open WebMail appears to have a file management module as
well.

>      So, ideally it really happens what I am saying in the above with
> squirrel-mail.

SquirrelMail

> I know few institutes that use squirrelmail with
> institute-domain-name.com/~username to display an individual user's or
> professor's website or a particular department's website.

Whether or not the web server serves pages from your users' home
directories is entirely unrelated to your webmail software.  Webmail
software merely interfaces with the mail server.  That's the same no
matter what software you're using.  You need to research and learn
about how to configure your file system and web server.

>      In the past I have downloaded such plugin and attached to the conf.pl
> file; but now I am not able to figure out that plugin since I am
> re-configuring my mail-cum-web server. My ultimate requirement is to disp=
lay
> every user's webpage/website after our domain-name like
> "www.institute-domain-name.com/~sudeep". Also, my mail server is my web
> server.

The ONLY thing this has to do with SquirrelMail is *IF* you want to
give your users the ability to also manage files in their home
directories via the webmail interface.  If that's the case, see my
previous response.

-- =

Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team

---
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and =

threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions =

will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware =

-----
squirrelmail-plugins mailing list
List address: squirrelmail-plugins@lists.sourceforge.net