List:       squirrelmail-plugins
Subject:    Re: [SM-PLUGINS] archive_mail v1.2 fails on large volumes of mail
From:       "Paul Lesniewski" <paul () squirrelmail ! org>
Date:       2007-09-26 2:30:51

On 9/25/07, ben <benjamin@monopod.net> wrote:
> The README for this plugin mentions "Downloading messages with LARGE
> Attachments can give you a memory error,"  but I actually found it to fail
> on large quantities of mail with only modest sized attachments. . .
>
> [30-Aug-2007 14:48:45] PHP Fatal error:  Out of memory (allocated
> 290455552) (tried to allocate 71392934 bytes) in
> /home/www/squirrelmail-1.4.8/plugins/archive_mail/includes/formats/mbox.php
> on line 72
>
> Doesn't really matter which archive_mail settings are selected by the
> user, the process still failed.
>
> I wonder if Jimmy or anyone has plans to eliminate this limitation making
> a really good plugin idea even more usefull? Or is it possible to push the
> threshold where it fails out larger with some php.ini tuning?

I haven't looked at the code, but if it is wrapping all your mail up
in memory before you download the archive, then you're always going to
have this problem when the messages you selected add up to more than
your memory_limit in php.ini.  You could try increasing that setting,
but I don't think that's a very good solution.  It would be better to
attempt to create the archive in a process not limited by the php.ini
memory limit.  Again, I have not looked at the code.

> FWIW in troubleshooting this issue, I turned up php logging and saw many a
> notice - which I thought squirrelmail code was not supposed to do. Other
> plugins like gpg and multilogin (used just for vlogin) are also culprits.

If you want them fixed (for the other plugins), post the
notices/errors in a different thread.  You should upgrade to 1.4.10
FYI.