List:       squirrelmail-plugins
Subject:    Re: [SM-PLUGINS] Change Language Plugin - feedback request
From:       Neil J MacNeil <nmac () mac ! com>
Date:       2005-02-28 2:04:03

Tomas,
Thanks for the tips on the Beta of my change language plugin - clang.
I work in a mixed xhtml / html environment so I occasionally miss the
odd non-xhtml tag...old habits die hard.
Text indentation was probably a result of hurriedly throwing this
plugin together - working between home and office
and multiple editors on multilpe machines, mac, linux, windows...easily
fixed up, thanks for the pointer, I will clean it up.
I will add a check for javascript prefs.  and modify accordingly, good
point, as well as add the 2 missed localisations.
I won't extend this to use read_body, or limit the charsets, but thanks
for the idea - as no-one else seems interested, there seems
little point extending this, it works for me, and unless there is real
demand from the wider community...anyone??

Based on your help my major problem of charset conversion has (almost)
been solved.

 From my perspective, the plugin still serves a purpose to SM users, in
that it allows:
a. The user to change their interface language in one click (two with
no javascript), as opposed to 5 or more clicks, and..
b. The user does not need to leave the right frame they are viewing in
order to change language.

Regarding "where this is useful", well it is useful to anyone who
want's this functionality, whatever their reason.
Based on a. and b. above, I don't agree that it is limited to Eastern
character sets.
But hey, thats cool. The user environment I support, want it, not only
to address the charset problems that will soon be resolved, but
also because:
a. They think it is quite cool.
b. They learn multiple western/eastern languages and being able to
switch interface in some way aids their language learning.
c. Many users are non-japanese, and for example, being Estonian, and
living in deepest darkest Japan, having an application that is used
daily, and
in Estonian is kinda nice.
d. They like the speed of language change, and not having to go to
options to change it, and return to where they were.

So, thanks big time for the feedback and help, I am very grateful, like
I said initially, this was my first hurried attempt at a plugin,
so all your advice was very welcome, and the charset stuff -
abasolutely invaluable!

I will tidy up the plugin, and upload 1.0 in the next few days:
http://homepage.mac.com/nmac/clang-plugin

Thanks for all your help,

Neil.
PS: If you need any testing done for japanese language support anytime,
just mail me.