List:       squirrelmail-plugins
Subject:    Re: [SM-PLUGINS] addressbook and whitelisting
From:       p dont think <pdontthink () angrynerds ! com>
Date:       2004-09-25 3:59:16

Jared Watkins wrote:

>> Seems like that means it is LESS flexible than, for instance,
>> accessing spamd from maildrop or procmail, where it can be turned off
>> (or required hits turned up) per user or otherwise fiddled with as
>> opposed to forcing EVERYONE to get the same thing because filtering is
>> done at the SMTP level.  The only advantage seems to be that a message
>> would not be filtered more than once if it has more than one local
>> recipient.
>>
> That's where my plugin comes in....   allows for per user w/b lists and
> policy settings along with a personal quarantine.  With all settings and

How is it possible to change something like required_hits when SA runs
in the MTA with a fixed (server-wide) setting in amavis.conf?  Exactly
what "policies" does the plugin allow?

> quarantine messages stored in a central database allowing for mta
> clusters.  Kicking off procmail to do filtering for every delivery is
> not very efficient...  and does not work well at all if you want a
> powerful imap server like cyrus... (for instance) and the benefits of
> lmtp delivery.

Uh, so then how do you do your filtering if you're not using Cyrus
(Sieve)?  Surely not with SM filtering - talk about inefficient...  :)
I don't use Procmail, but I've never seen Maildrop become a bottleneck
(everything in the SMTP realm will always be slower I believe).

> I'm not going to espouse the benefits of amavis-new too much...  there
> are much better ways of learning about it than from me...  but if you
> have a high volume site that needs such features neatly integrated into
> Squirrelmail... it's a good fit.

I am not suggesting amavis isn't a good tool, just not so sure that
running SA in the MTA is more efficient or more flexible (certainly not
the latter).  And, of course, there's any number of ways to achieve the
integration of all these features.  In fact, if your plugin puts its SA
config items in a user pref database, what's the difference between it
and SASQL?

  - paul