List:       squirrelmail-plugins
Subject:    Re: [SM-PLUGINS] does this exist - sign-up
From:       "Fredrik Jervfors" <sqm_admin () fimbul ! net>
Date:       2004-06-28 17:36:11

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a plugin, I hope it's out there, that will let users
> sign up for an email account on my site.  Hopefully it will work much
> like a hotmail or yahoo email sign-up with the bot protection, ( i know
> yahoo and hotmail use a word verification), notification of usernames
> that aren't available (be really cool if the username suggestions were
> there like on yahoo,  and the ability to turn this on or off depending
> on the site.
>
> I know this was brought up in the past, but it was back in the 3rd
> quarter of 2003 and it looked like they were addressing real users on a
> machine, all of my domains are virtual, using postfix and a sql
> backend.  I guess this is pretty complicated, but figured i'd see if
> someone has this as it seems that it would come in fairly handy.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Aaron

Sorry, Aaron.

There are no plugins like that, at least not that's available from
<http://www.squirrelmail.org>. The reason for this it that there are close
to indefinite ways to set up an e-mail system, since you can choose from a
nuber of MTA, IMAP, db and so forth, with a wide range of configuration
options.

If you tell more about your setup, maybe, just maybe, someone with a
similar setup can help you, but I wouldn't bet on it. The best way to go
is probably to write a plugin that's custom for your system.

Besides, letting anyone sign up for a free account is not recommended. You
might end up attracting spammers and similar unwanted elements, making
your server blacklisted. Even if you only have user who can behave,
managing a public e-mail service is a lot of work.

Sincerly,
Fredrik.