List:       squirrelmail-plugins
Subject:    [SM-PLUGINS] logging errors
From:       "Brad Donison" <bucovina () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2004-01-30 18:32:38

I've sent this one before but it looks like SF is just eating it rather than
distributing me emails??? It's done that a couple of times now in the past
month or so... Anyways, here is my second attempt as getting this note out.
A funny thing happened on the way to web mail this afternoon;-)

A user selected a message, and deleted it from his INBOX (Cyrus) after viewing
it. After that point, all IMAP attempts returned the following error message:

ERROR : Connection dropped by imap-server.
Query: THREAD REFERENCES ISO-8859-1 ALL

Now I figured out the problem and corrected it, BUT here is my thought. We are
running 1.4.3 CVS as of about a week ago and the ONLY person to see that error
message and know that something was wonkie was the individual user who had
this problem. There are a couple of plugins that log certain SquirrelMail
activities, but the error_box function in functions/display_messages.php has
no hook that could be used to log error messages. For easier administration I
would like to propose a new hook that these squirrel logger plugins can attach
to. The hook would be located in error_box function and it would simply pass
along the $string error message to the plugin.

From an administration point of view I could then monitor the log files for
certain errors and fix them automatically, rather than waiting for a confused
or frustrated support call.

Would this suggestion be something useful to others? Would that be the
appropriate spot to place the hook? Would someone with CVS access want to make
this qwik additional hook?

Thank you for reading...

Brad
--
Last time I had this much fun was, ... uh ...