List:       squirrelmail-plugins
Subject:    [SM-PLUGINS] TWC_Weather 1.1 Beta 2a is available
From:       "Starkey, Jamuel, NLNS" <jamuel () att ! com>
Date:       2003-02-25 18:50:36

Hi,

I just released TWC Weather v1.1 Beta 2a on the SM.org site.  The major feature in \
1.1 Beta 2 is fairly good support for SI/Metric conversion of the weather forecast \
(narrative) text.

If you are an everyday SI user please give it a shot and let me know what you think!

Cheers,

JPS

From the README:

Features in 1.1 Beta 2a
------------------------
-- Another reworked parser fix plus some other bugs from the narrative are
fixed.

Features in 1.1 Beta 2
-----------------------

-- Metric/SI support for forecast/narratives.  Use the resulting forecasts
with caution as there maybe slight rounding and/or estimation errors in the
coverted text.

This feature is still very much a work in progress. Parsing and converting
plain-text requires contextual knowledge to interpret the units that are being
expressed not only in the type of measurement (say temperature versus windspeed)
but also in some of the adjectives and/or english modifiers being applied
(e.g low, upper, single digits, middle teens, etc.)

Currently only some of the adjectives are supported (paritial support is probably
a better description)

Supported:
Any wind speed, temperature, or precipiation that is expressed clearly
either as a single value or a range of value (e.g. Lows to 30F or Winds 5 to 15
mph, Snow accumulation up to 3 inches) are run thru standard english-->metric
units conversion.  Depending on the measurement the result is is rounded to the
typically expressed precision (e.g. temperature and wind speed in whole units)

Adjectives/quantities supported: numeric up to ten (one, two, three --> 1.0, 2.0, \
3.0), fractions (quarter, half, three-quarters)

Partial Support:  single digits = 5, teens = 15 , anything close to 0 is said to
be "near 0" if a range is given (Lows in the 30s --> Lows near 0).

Unsupported:  Low, Upper, Middle  (look for these in Beta 3)

FEEDBACK:  Since I don't live in an SI world--I'd certainly appreciate any SI
usability and/or accuracy feedback -- jamuel@my740il.com .

Enjoy!

# # #