List:       squirrelmail-i18n
Subject:    [SM-I18N] [SM-ANNOUNCE] ANNOUNCE: SquirrelMail 1.4.20 Release
From:       Paul Lesniewski <paul () squirrelmail ! org>
Date:       2009-08-12 10:47:01

Greetings,

The SquirrelMail Team is pleased to bring you the first release
candidate ahead of our next SquirrelMail version: 1.4.20RC1.  Because
of the somewhat invasive nature of some of the changes we have
recently made, we are issuing a "release candidate" before we
officially move to version 1.4.20.  While we have been very careful to
ensure the stability of SquirrelMail, this version, 1.4.20 release
candidate 1, has undergone limited testing, and we'd like to have more
feedback before we make version 1.4.20 final.

The most notable changes for this version are the addition of two
security mechanisms that fight cross-site request forgeries (CSRF),
the removal of some deprecated PHP functions, some minor fixes in the
filters plugin, and increased user privacy.  For more complete
details, see the ReleaseNotes and ChangeLog files included in this
release (in the doc/ directory).

Due to the security issues fixed herein, we'd like to advise all users
of SquirrelMail software to upgrade.  However, because this is
technically a "release candidate", it may be most prudent to to test
your upgrade before putting it into production use.  We are confident
that most systems will not experience any trouble, but we'll be happy
to work with you to resolve any issues that do arise.  Your feedback
is highly appreciated.

This release can be downloaded from the SquirrelMail website:

   http://squirrelmail.org/download

Package md5sums
===============
7632177bd3618cd9965e548fd196f737  squirrelmail-1.4.20RC1.tar.bz2
18149da193218202cfb33cc45301761a  squirrelmail-1.4.20RC1.tar.gz
e18b6d7c29cff9c7f48eea74b12b78c0  squirrelmail-1.4.20RC1.zip

Package sha1sums
================
30b1645a8bec60c1a932e02a36745e1bc51d0f8a  squirrelmail-1.4.20RC1.tar.bz2
f62ca9cf53ab7c4d7d9bcce656206006c2c0b909  squirrelmail-1.4.20RC1.tar.gz
114c571367c44db271646df98db73146e93e12e1  squirrelmail-1.4.20RC1.zip

**** The SquirrelMail team can use your help! ****

Attention all users of SquirrelMail:

SquirrelMail is currently celebrating 10 years of providing free, Open
Source Software to the world.  We have a lot to be grateful for and
many people to thank for how successful we've been!  But running a
high-profile project with all-volunteer labor means that the mundane
chores gradually consume all our effort and sideline our visionary
initiatives for our next big release.  We feel that the time is right,
after so many years of free service, to ask our community to
contribute to the project and support us in keeping up with ongoing
maintenance and development, and in speeding up the release of our
new, fully-skinable "Web 2.0" version.  Please visit our donations and
bounties page here:

   http://squirrelmail.org/donations.php

Attention developers:

We consist of volunteers developing the most popular open source
webmail client available.  We're looking for people to join our team
to help keep our product quality high and to continue to deliver new
and enhanced features.  Our project offers an interesting challenge at
the intersection of the IMAP, SMTP and HTTP protocols.

What can you do to help? Any of the following:
 * Develop new features: help out on making SquirrelMail "skinnable" or work
   with new technologies
 * Help sort and fix bugs: interact with submitters, find test cases and
   solutions to bugs
 * Support our users by answering questions on the mailing lists or the IRC
   channel
 * Translate SquirrelMail into your language
 * Donate to the developers: feed us nuts!

For more details, please refer to http://squirrelmail.org/howtohelp

Happy SquirrelMailing!
The SquirrelMail Project Team