List:       squirrelmail-i18n
Subject:    Re: [SM-I18N] Dutch translation
From:       Rinse de Vries <rinse () kde ! nl>
Date:       2007-08-24 20:11:55

Op donderdag 23 augustus 2007, schreef Thijs Kinkhorst:
> On Wednesday 22 August 2007 22:06, Rinse de Vries wrote:
> > I translated/updated all the po-files available for squirrelmail  into
> > Dutch, while my team member Douwe translated all of them into Frisian. I
> > just checked, and to my suprise none of them were ever placed into the
> > squirrelmail CVS.
>
> Unfortunately our "translations man" Fredrik has appearently been overloaded
> with other activities and hasn't gotten around to this task yet. That's
> indeed unfortunate and a pity, but you must understand that this is volunteer
> work, and that the number of SquirrelMail volunteers is at the moment not
> very high.
>
> > Apperently, Squirrelmail isn't interested in localisations at all.
>
> This assertion doesn't help anyone. Such an accusation makes any discussion
> turn sour very soon.
>
> If you want to work in a free software context, you need to get used to the
> fact that sometimes, work can lay on the shelf for a couple of months. That's
> a fact of life. Maybe not in KDE with 100's of volunteers, but it is in small
> projects. It will be used, and it is useful.

I'm sorry for getting so emotional, but i got the idea that the work was done for \
nothing. We put quite some time in it to make sure squirrelmail 100% translated for \
the releas back then. So it is hard to realise nothing has been done with them. I \
know that opensource projects are short on resources and that most of the times \
volunteers don't always have the time to do their job. But we are talking about work \
that was done back in mei (it's allmost september now), that has not even been \
committed into the CVS. And that resulted into Michael picking up translating a file \
that was already translated in the first place.

I think the project should at least try to avoid that by placing work of translators \
into CVS as soon as possible.  That way, even if no one has the time to manage the \
translations or to pack and release them, at least the code is there for others to \
pick up.

Regards, Rinse