List:       squirrelmail-devel
Subject:    [SM-DEVEL] Obstacles for SquirrelMail translation
From:       "Ignacio =?utf-8?b?QWd1bGzDsw==?=" <agullo () ati ! es>
Date:       2010-02-02 11:56:27

      I shouldn't be participating in this list.  I am a developer,
yes.  I can code in PHP, all right - but I haven't done it in the last
five years.  The help I can provide is little.  I use SquirrelMail at
work, and I am in charge of setting up computers on my workcenter, but
not of the mail services - that's another guy in another building.
So, I cannot check on most things without bothering others.

      So, what brought me here?  All I wanted to do was to get
SquirrelMail translated into my language.  However, this was proven to
be so much difficult that I entered this list as a last resort to get
it.  And even this hasn't worked so far.

      Consider the long and winding road that took me here.  Bear in
mind that I followed to the letter The SquirrelMail Translator's
Manual, downloaded the template and translated it (that's a ten hours
work).  This is the story of what happened afterwards.

a. The SquirrelMail Translator's Manual says at section 2.1, "Creating
translations": "Submission. Send the language to the mailing list for
inclusion with the official SquirrelMail package."  What mailing list?
  There's no name, there's no link, no clues.  As of today, I read it
more closely and read at section 1.1 "Translation policy": "New and
updated SquirrelMail translations can be submitted to the
squirrelmail-i18n mailing list.".  This wouldn't work, anyway, as
explained later.

b. I checked on SquirrelMails websites (both at sourceforge.net and
squirrelmail.org) for e-mail addresses in order to submit my
translation.  But I found none, not for submitting translations, nor
for any other purpose. There just aren't any.

c. Then I learnt that in order to make any contact, I should use a Sourceforge
account.  I always find it discouraging when they force you to sign up
at a website on any occasion.  Translation should be submitted without
being forced to sign up.  "Only SquirrelMail developers have write
access to the SquirrelMail repository", so why would translators need
an account anyway.

d. Well then, I signed in at Sourceforge using a sourceforge account
and I browsed the SquirrelMail project page.  On the four-link line
(Summary, Files, Support and Develop) I clicked on Develop.  And then,
surprise, Develop became a pull-down menu, and three other pull-down
menus appeared as well (Tracker, Mailing Lists and Code).  I browsed
these previously hidden menus and at Mailing List I saw
squirrelmail-i18n.  Searching for the mailing list for translations?
This had to be the one.  I clicked on it, and found: "Email Archive:
squirrelmail-i18n (read-only)" Read-only! I still couldn't submit
anything!  And there's no clue on how to subscribe or either way to
get something posted.

e. Browsing again in the Tracker menu I found Internationalization.
There I saw tracker elements used for publishing translations for
other languages.  It seemed that this had to be the place.  So I added
a new tracker artifact posting my first SquirrelMail translation (70%
complete), and added a second artifact reporting the difficulties
found so far.  This was on November the 15th, 2009 (that's two and a
half months ago).

f. Time passed, and the tracker artifacts got no answer.  On December
the 1st, 2009, I created another one posting the translation 100%
complete.  No answer again, even as of today:

g. About December the 20th, 2009, still without answer, I resorted to
send a message to the projects first developer, angliss. He told me
that there was a list for translations but it was closed due to spam.
angliss advised myself to subscribe to the Development mail list, and
so it was how I got here.  Once subscribed, I posted a message on
December 21st, 2009 with the translation file as an attachment:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=20091221233853.793678ehpmqamfb4%40mail.ati.es&forum_name=squirrelmail-devel

h. It is February the 2nd, 2010, and still no acknowledgement - two
months and a half past the date I posted my translation for the first
time.  The new translation isn't in the Translations list at the
Sourceforge SquirrelMail page, nor at the downloads page in
squirrelmail.org.

      I'll tell you what's wrong.  It is not the delay between
versions.  It is the unacknowledgement.

      Unacknowledgment means that I feel uncertain of my work being
taken care of, and that's no good, but...

      Unacknowledgment also means that the rest of the world doesn't
know about this new translation.  So at any minute another translator
may decide to start doing the very same task, translating SquirrelMail
into the same language.  Remember, The SquirrelMail Translator's
Manual doesn't prompt the translators for notice before starting to
work.  And then we would end up having two (or more) translations for
the same language, which means somebody's effort would be wasted away.
  And that is definitely bad.  It is bad to have a delay adding a
translation, but it is worst to risk wasting someone's effort.  I
think exceeding one months time for acknowledging a new translation is
going beyond the reasonable.

      And that is everything I wanted to say.  Apart from that,
there's little that I can add to this project - I even can't make
tests properly.  So I leave this Development list.  I look forward to
become a translator for more projects, and hope that get to work with
PHP in the future again, so I get more proficient in PHP coding and be
more helpful.  I'll continue to use SquirrelMail and keep an eye on
new versions.

Ignacio Agulló  · www.agullo.tk