List:       squirrelmail-devel
Subject:    Re: [SM-DEVEL] patches for stable 20051205
From:       "Tomas Kuliavas" <tokul () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2005-12-08 6:32:09

> On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 11:33 +0100, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 21:14 +0200, Tomas Kuliavas wrote:
>>
>>> * Deliver_SMTP.class.php.diff - backport from devel. How to reproduce
>>>  problem: enable use of Secure SMTP (TLS) on good old plain SMTP and
>>> try sending email. I've added todo instead of _("Can't open SMTP
>>> stream.") because strings are frozen. Reported by Nicolas Mailhot
>>
>> Strings are frozen, but better have an untranslated message than no
>> clear error message at all?
>
> -            // TODO: add some human readable error message.
> -            $this->dlv_server_msg = '';
> +            // TODO: gettext it.
> +            $this->dlv_server_msg = "Can't open SMTP stream.";
>

> I'm not an expert in i18n, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but why not
> gettext it right away? If I understand it correctly: if no translation is
> provided, this will have the same, effect as it does now, however, if a
> language does provide a translation it will be shown. If we release like
> this and a language updates its translation after the release (which is
> possible with the separate locales package) the string can't be
> translated. This also goes for translations that get updated between now
> and the release.
>
> So, why not gettext it right away? AFAICS it does no harm and can bring
> some potential gain.

Strings are frozen. "frozen" = We promissed translators that strings won't
change in 1.4.6. If squirrelmail.pot is updated, it will extract new
string and number of strings will change. Dutch translation will go from
100% to 99,91% and translator will have to update translation one more
time in order to get full translation.

--
Tomas