List:       squirrelmail-devel
Subject:    Re: [SM-DEVEL] "Read Mail" Folder aka aolmail (!)
From:       Paul Lesneiwski <paul () squirrelmail ! org>
Date:       2005-12-05 23:06:09

Daniel W wrote:
> Ok perhaps a contraversial proposal:
>
> What do you guys think about the idea that new mail should be shown in
> the "Inbox" folder and then, once read, automatically moved to a "Read
> Mail" folder so that the Inbox is kept empty?
>
> I'm thinking of this as a system-wide option that admins can set and
> have enforced.
>
> Advantages:
>
> Faster login: the IMAP server does not have to open, read and load the
> message list for the INBOX folder which may (often) be thousands of
> messages long.
>
> Less Load: for the same reason above this reduces unnecessary load - if
> someone just wants to read their new mail their login only loads a
> folder with half a dozen messages instead of one with 3000.
>
> Could simply be implemented as a login-plugin that moves all read
> messages to the Read Mail folder upon each login. Requires creation of a
> new "Special" folder (admin definable).

Yes, I'd recommend someone create a plugin for this if needed.  However,
implementing it so it does the reorganizing upon login defeats the
stated purpose of faster logins.  It also makes it confusing during a
login session that some read messages are in fact still in the inbox.
Moving the messages immediately after clicking might create (possibly
nasty) message navigation and in-session message cache problems, but
maybe not.