List:       squirrelmail-devel
Subject:    Re: [SM-DEVEL] Flags in templated message list
From:       "Fredrik Jervfors" <sqm_admin () fimbul ! net>
Date:       2005-04-26 19:41:20

> With the new template, the flags that signify special properties of a
> message in the list have changed their appearance slightly: A, D and !
> were all bolded, and D used to be red also.
>
> I was wondering about how exactly to fix it. Some approaches come to
> mind:
>
> - Adding <b> and <font> tags around them. Seems a bit "old school" to me.

I don't like it.

> - Giving each CSS attributes, or some general class to make them all bold
>  and some specific class (eg "msgflag_urgent", "msgflag_deleted" ?) per
> item for colouring.

Sounds good to me.

> - Even more advanced: also remove the A,D + and ! characters and move
> them to the style. Add eg a class msgflag_urgent and that class looks
> something like:
> .msgflag_urgent {
> font-weight: bold;
> font-color: red;
> }
> .msgflag:before {
> content: "!";
> }

Not in the default template, but maybe in a more advanced CSS template.

> This allows for completely doing that in styles, and thus maximizes the
> themability with changing only css (eg another character or even an
> image).
> But maybe the last approach is a bit too advanced and overkill;
> also a disadvantage is that it does not degrade gracefully: no or
> incomplete css support leads to those flags not being displayed at all..
>
> So I'm not sure what's the best, any thoughts?

I think suggestion #2 is best for the default template. It doesn't rule
out #3 for another template and with the right CSS #2 can do the same
thing as #3, i.e. not show the text (flag) but show the things you
suggested in your CSS.

Sincerely,
Fredrik.